Spinach and Ricotta Ravioli with Prawn for dinner tonight. Homemade ravioli are awesome. You can fill them up with almost anything you could think of. Stuff them with cheese and herbs, minced meat, smoked salmon and even egg. Smother them with sauce and you have a great dish on it’s own. This time I decided to fill mine up with soft ricotta cheese mixed with some earthy spinach, lemon zest, salt and pepper.
I know pasta dough takes some time to prepare but it is worth your while. To shorten the process, try making the dough in a food processor. Put flour, egg yokes and mix until the dough gathers up in big clumps. Take the dough out and knead it until you feel it’s elastic. Cover it with clean film and set in the fridge for 20 minutes.
Now that you have your dough just roll it out in thin sheets and use a spoon to set the ricotta filling in clumps 1 inch apart. Brush egg wash in between the clumps of ricotta and cover with a second sheet pressing with your fingers while making sure you take the air out. Now you are just left with separating the pieces and boiling them for 3 minutes.
Take a pan drizzle olive oil or butter and cook your cleaned prawn. When done just take it out and throw in half of a finely chopped onion. Cook until soften, deglaze with a splash of white wine and add cream at the end. I think this dish needs just a bit more aroma so I decided to stick some basil leaves, a garlic clove and olive oil in a blender and mix until you get a smooth paste. Set that creamy ravioli on a plate and cover with the wine sauce. Add your prawn next and sprinkle with your basil and garlic oil and it’s done.
Are you left with prawn heads and don’t know what to do with them? Check this out. Prawn Head Bisque
- 1 big prawn
- spinach leaves
- lemon zest
- white wine
- 1 onion
- olive oil
- basil leaves
- Add flour and egg yokes in a food processor and mix until you have a big clump of dough.
- Knead until elastic, cover with clean film and set aside in the fridge for 20 mins.
- Make ravioli filling by mixing chopped spinach, lemon zest and ricotta together.
- Finish your ravioli and boil for 3 minutes.
- Cook the prawn in a pan with butter and set aside.
- In the same pan add the finely chopped onion and cook until soften.
- Deglaze the pan with white wine and add cream.
- Add basil leaves and one garlic clove in the blender together with olive oil and blend until you have a smooth paste.