Honestly I’m not too much of a salad person but sometimes after an extended late night grill with friends, a heavy breakfast is pretty hard to take in. You know those days when you wake up after going through 10’s of beers and grilled steaks at 3 a.m. Well Good morning! A crispy bacon salad with a runny poached egg and some of that crispy, salty bacon drizzled with a mustard lemon dressing is a pretty light way to start your day.
It’s pretty easy, just finely julienne the red onion and mix it with the greens. Hey, remember to dry your leaves before use so you don’t end up with a soggy salad. Then get your oven baked salty crispy bacon and throw it on top. Drizzle everything with that tangy dressing, put the poached egg on and let that lushes yoke drip.
Make some toast and fill up a big glass of orange juice. That should be just right for a hard morning. Now, I sometimes follow up with a coffee but it depends on the size of the headache. Creamy poached egg with salty and crispy bacon over a salad lightly covered in lemon dressing already sounds awesome. Just cover some toast with butter and dig in. You should be back on your feet in no time.
- mixed baby leaf salad
- red onion
- olive oil
- splash of vinegar
- Into a jar, add one tsp. of mustard and one part lemon juice to four parts olive oil.
- Seal with a lid and shake until it emulsifies.
- Spread the bacon on a baking tray, drizzle it with oil and put in the oven on medium heat until golden brown.
- Take it out and let it rest on kitchen paper to absorb the excess oil.
- Set a pot of water on the stove and let it heat up on high heat until it boils.
- Lower the heat to a simmer and add salt and a splash of vinegar.
- Add the egg until the whites coagulate.
- In a bowl add your salad with finely julienne red onion and drizzle the dressing on top.
- Add your bacon and poached egg
- Don't leave your eggs in the boiling water for too long as poached egg can overcook pretty fast.