Baby spinach salad with pumpkin and feta plus much more crunch. Perfectly toasted seeds and sweet roasted pumpkin salted with some creamy feta is all you need to dress up your earthy baby spinach. You’re almost there. Just spice it up with some finely cut red onion and dress it up with fruity olive oil. Done!
Let’s take it step by step. It’s easy and quick. Just prep and you’re 80% done. Peal and cut the pumpkin inch sized. Then lightly coat the cubes with olive oil and sprinkle coarse sea salt and fresh ground pepper. Stick them in the oven at 360 °F for 20 minutes and satisfaction is guaranteed. Just be careful not to burn them like I did my first batch.
Toast some mixed pumpkin seeds and sunflower seeds for crunch. Add inch sized feta cubes for salt and finely chopped red onion for spice. Then combine everything with sweet pumpkin and earthy, fresh, baby spinach in order for all these ingredients to work magic. Well, now you basically have a salad. But what’s a salad without a dressing. You can have it simple with high quality olive oil or get creative and infuse some flavor. It’s your choice.
So what do you think? Would you drizzle olive oil and throw some salt and pepper on? Or, would you shake up a pumpkin/olive oil dressing with high quality balsamic vinegar? Pumpkin oil has an intense flavor, so mix it with olive oil to loosen it up. It could overpower the dish so taste before you use. Drizzle it on top of the fresh baby spinach and munch! Crunchy-creamy, fresh-baked, sweet-salty and savory plus an amazing dressing is my idea of a baby spinach salad with pumpkin feta and mixed toasted seeds.
- Sweet pumpkin or butternut squash
- Baby spinach
- pumpkin seeds
- sunflower seeds
- red onion
- olive oil (pumpkin seed oil)
- Cut the pumpkin in inch sized cubes, dress with olive oil, salt and pepper.
- Preheat the oven to 360 °F and bake the pumpkin cubes for approximately 20 minutes.
- While the squash is roasting, toast the seeds,cut the cubes of feta and finely chop the onion.
- Mix up somewhere between 1/2 - 1/2 olive to pumpkin seed oil to 3/4 -1/4 depending on the intended flavor intensity..
- Keep an eye on the pumpkin cubes roasting so you don't burn the bottom side.