Apple tarte tartin? I rarely eat sweets. I think I’ve never really had a sweet tooth, throw a steak on the plate with a salad and I’m the happiest. Ok now… from time to time, probably more often for the past couple of years, I crave deserts. As I’m not that interested, I rarely prepare them. At the same time most of my friends are in love with anything sugar. So that’s how I ended up making this simple recipe. You may want to impress a friend or a date and think you are not capable of preparing sweets. Really, anyone can cook a Tarte Tartin.
It is said that this recipe was born out of a mistake. A French woman wanted to caramelize apples for her husband but as she forgot the pan on the stove the caramel burnt. She had covered the pan with puff pastry and shoved it in the oven.
The recipe is pretty basic. Just make a caramel, which you can flavor with a cinnamon stick, cloves, star anise or vanilla bean. Choose your favorites or use them all, play with the recipe and find your favorite. Peel the apples; add them to the caramel and cover with a layer of puff pastry. Then just stick the pan in the oven at 180 and wait until the pastry puffs up and turns golden brown. That’s it. Serve with ice cream and you will be impressed.
- 2 green apples
- 6/7 oz (180/200 g) sugar
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 4-5 garlic cloves
- 2 star anise
- Take a pan and heat it up on medium to low heat.
- Add sugar, cinnamon, cloves and star anise.
- When the sugar starts melting on the edges add a nob of butter and stir gently until the caramel becomes golden brown.
- Peel, slice and add the apples to the caramel making sure you coat them evenly.
- Once this is done, take the pan off the stove and cover it with a lid of puff pastry tucking the apples in on the edge.
- Poke the puff pastry with a fork and put it in the oven at 180 C for 10-12 minutes then lower the temperature to 16o C until the pastry is golden brown.
- While it is still hot, so that the caramel doesn’t stick to the pan, cover it with a plate and flip it over.
- Serves with vanilla ice cream